Celtic Solstice

I know I mentioned in the last post that I had taken pictures and had lots of blog fodder.  But I guess I forgot how I actually need to sit down and write a post that will use said pictures, or they kind of just linger in my Flickr account and don’t do anyone any good.  So, without further ado, here is Celtic Solstice!

Celtic Solstice

I started this quilt in November 2013. It was Bonnie Hunter’s mystery for that year. When she said it was going to use the Tri-Recs tool, I made the decision to make it. I knew it would more than likely involve many tiny tiny pieces, as Bonnie’s quilts generally tend to. I changed up the colour scheme a little, and used grey where she used yellow, and made the blue into more of a teal/turquoise.

Celtic Solstice - first 2 blocks done!

I had to search way back in my Flickr feed to find these next two pictures. I made all the units as the mystery went along, but then I got stalled in the process of actually assembling the blocks. The two blocks above I made when the mystery was revealed. They were lonely for a very long time. 🙂

Celtic Solstice - almost halfway!

There are two blocks that make up this quilt, and they have 62 and 35 pieces in them, and I made 28 and 27 of those blocks, respectively. So there are 2, 708 pieces in the top, before I added the borders. I have to admit, that’s more than I expected.

Celtic Solstice

My family helped me take pictures. Most of the time, it was much appreciated.

Celtic Solstice

Some of the time, not so much. Thing 2 took a break from riding his bike around the block to help out. So sweet of him.

Celtic Solstice

This is the best picture that I have of the top. It is quite large and was hard to get the whole thing in the frame. The colours really pop in this shot, which I really like. The border is not Bonnie’s original border, but one that I adapted from a Celtic Solstice that someone else had finished. I don’t remember who it was, but if you have seen it before, please let me know so I can give them credit.

I’m glad I made this quilt. I’m also glad I don’t have to make another one. 🙂

Tutorial – Birds of the Air unit

I am still busy working on Bonnie Hunter’s recent mystery, Celtic Solstice.  I’m part of a FB group working on this quilt, and one of the members posted an alternate way of constructing the unit for step 5, Birds of the Air.  I thought I’d post a more detailed tutorial, in case anyone else, like me, had never heard of the method. Most of the instructions are on the pictures, but feel free to ask questions if you would like more details. I’m assuming anyone using this tutorial knows how to make an HST. 🙂

This is what we are going to make:
Birds of the Air unit - tutorialBirds of the Air unit - tutorialBirds of the Air unit - tutorial Birds of the Air unit - tutorialBirds of the Air unit - tutorialBirds of the Air unit - tutorialBirds of the Air unit - tutorialBirds of the Air unit - tutorialBirds of the Air unit - tutorialBirds of the Air unit - tutorialBirds of the Air unit - tutorial022Birds of the Air unit - tutorialBirds of the Air unit - tutorial

You can arrange these units and make an amazing quilt out of them just on their own as well.  And that’s all there is to it!  It gets rid of sewing nearly all the bias edges, and is quick and accurate.  What more could you ask for?

Belated Merry Christmas and Happy New Year

I made a conscious decision to not do any blogging during my Christmas holiday.  Instead I wanted to enjoy the time I got to spend with the family that I don’t see very often.  I didn’t even sew anything for two weeks!  I never thought I would say this, but I had such a good time that I hardly noticed.  Until I got home, and saw my poor, neglected machine in the corner, while I still had to unpack, do laundry, take the tree down, etc.  But I sewed today, and it felt great!

I’m still working on Bonnie Hunter’s mystery, Celtic Solstice.  I have steps 1-3 completed now, but I don’t have photos of step 3 yet.

Bonnie Hunter Mystery 2013 - Part 2

Bonnie Hunter Mystery 2013 - Part 1Bonnie Hunter Mystery 2013 - Part 1

 

I really love the completed quilt now that the mystery has been revealed, and it has given me renewed motivation to finish it up after my break.  Between shoveling the sidewalk since it started snowing again, and making dinner and tucking little things in bed, I hope to make slow, but steady progress.  Always onwards!