Bee block round up

Someone told me the other day (Hi Kathy!) that I should blog more, and since I have things to blog about, I agreed and am now obliging.  I’ve made and sent out my blocks for the Stash bee and the Canadians Quilt bee.  This is the second to last month for Stash bee already, since our hive only had 11 members.

Stash Bee October

Kim requested this star block in a rainbow colour scheme. It turned out really nicely, but took a bit longer to sew than I expected it would. It finishes at 16″.

Canadian Quilt October

Sheila requested arrows made from the tutorial by Carla at Grace and Favour. These were also very simple to make; the tutorial was very good. You do end up with a bit of leftover fabric afterward, so I used that to make the log cabin style block as a bonus for me. I really like the colour scheme she chose too.

I recently joined the 4×5 Bee as well. I like the short-term commitment aspect of it, and I love that you just make the same block for everyone, but in the colour scheme of their choosing. I chose the Zeppelin block to make for my hive mates, as I’m in a paper-piecing only group.  It’s a free block from Julie at 627 Handworks and part of a great series of blocks named after classic rock acts.

Zeppelin block

The test block I made finished up 1/4″ too small. I hate it when that happens! I went back to the drawing board and made another, which was a perfect 12.5″. Phew!

Zeppelin test block
Zeppelin correct size block

I have to make 3 more yet, but I have a couple weeks yet, and this block is quick, so that’s easily doable. And then I get to sew for me again, while I wait for my blocks to come in the mail. Fabric mail is the best kind of mail.


A quilt for my nephew

My sister asked me recently last year to make a quilt for her son.  I said sure, of course, and then time happened and it took awhile to get the ball rolling.  Earlier this summer, we brainstormed and came up with a sketch of the design she wanted.  I loved the original way her brain worked to come up with the pattern she wanted.  She’s very artistically inclined, but not a quilter herself, so she came to the process without any preconceived ideas about what is currently on trend in the quilting world.  I should design stuff with her more often.

I started by making some test blocks.  The first one I made, on the left, was 1.5″ too big, so I re-did the math and made a second.  Success!

Test blockTest block

Then I got to work with the actual fabrics that she had picked out. I had to make 12 of these large, 15″ finished blocks for the left and right side of the quilt.

For AloysiusFor Aloysius

So with the big easy blocks done, I got to work on the itty bitty ones for the centre of the quilt. I did more quilt math, the old fashioned way, with a paper and pen.

Quilt math

Then I made some more test blocks, little itty bitty 1″ finished HSTs that were then used in tiny 2″ finished birds of the air units.

Itty bitty units

I really liked the cute factor of these tiny little units, even if they were awfully small and fiddly to make. Since I didn’t need the test birds of the air units for the quilt, I experimented a bit and made them into a new block. Then I made the real units and the resulting blocks that I needed. I had to make 16 of these small 6″ finished blocks.  Shakespeare is there for a size comparison.

Test block leftoversShakespeare for size

Progress so far

And that’s my progress so far. I put it all up on my design wall, and Thing 1 jumped into the picture with this Vanna pose. I’ve got mostly easy stuff left to do, so now it’s just a matter of doing it. I really hope I don’t fall off the wagon this time.