Japanese X and + Flimsy

So I was in a bee and it was a bit of a disappointment.  Lots and lots of people dropped out and I didn’t get nearly half of the blocks I was supposed to get.  Live and learn, I guess.  I think it was too many people to start with, in the bee, combined with health problems suffered by the organizer, which hampered her ability to run things smoothly.  But, instead of dwelling on the fact that I was now very tired of making this block and the the fact that I did not have enough blocks for a decent sized top, I came up with a solution.  I had seen other people making larger versions of the block and then combining the two sizes in one quilt.  It seemed like a fast and simple solution, so I decided to go with that.

X and

The original tutorial I used was from Badskirt, so I made the larger blocks using those dimensions as a guide. The larger block finishes at the same size as 4 of the smaller ones sewn together. If you want to make one yourself, here are the measurements:
cross: 1 – 3.5″ x 9.5″ strip
2 – 3.5″ squares
edge squares: 4 – 3.5″ squares
X: 4 – 6.5″ squares
triangles: 8 – 3.5″ squares

X and

X and

I decided to use some of my precious Heather Ross fabrics in this top, since the blocks were so large and I could really showcase them. I’m glad I did. That little worker bee is just so cute!

X and

 

I am happy with this top now, but I think it will probably sit a bit before it gets quilted.  I had an amazingly productive week and made 3 quilt tops.  I don’t think I have ever finished 3 quilt tops in a week before!  2 of them, including this one, had been lingering for a long while for various reasons, and it feels really good to get them done.  Yay for bursts of sewing mojo!

Advertisements

14 thoughts on “Japanese X and + Flimsy

  1. The very first bee I was in was like that. One lady dropped out right after it was her turn to get blocks. Anyway, you came up with a great solution. Enjoy those finishes! Hope you got all your solids blocks. I think we were in that group together. : )

    Like

  2. Too bad the ‘bee’ was disappointing! Many of them are, but then you get a really great one come along and you are excited about doing ‘bees’ again! I love the effect of combining large and small versions of this block — now a nice wide border will give it even a bit more size!

    Like

  3. Way to make lemonade! I think the scrappiness really anchors the two sizes – it looks great.

    Too bad about your bee, though. I’m kinda of the opinion that if you drop, you have to provide a replacement sewist. 🙂 PS – your blocks from Canadians are looking fabulous.

    Like

  4. What a bummer to have not have a very good bee experience. You sure did make lemonade out of lemons; your quilt top is gorgeous and I am so glad you figured out a solution to finish the quilt top!!!!

    Like

  5. I like the layout you used for the mixed bock size. Bees can be hit and miss but still worth putting yourself out there for when things go right. Thanks for sharing the cut size for this option.

    Like

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s