Last Bee Block of the year

I’ve made and sent my last bee block for 2013.  This is also the last block for one of my Simply Solids groups, since it is ending a month early.  We’ve had a great experience together in this group, so much so, that we’ve decided to extend our group for another year.  This month’s queen was Sheila, and she requested a snowflake block.

I’m not gonna lie, when I saw this block, I loved it, but I knew it would not be an easy one. I’m not one to back off from a challenge though!  It was not as difficult as I expected it to be.  I took it slow, and I only ripped one seam.  It took about one afternoon of sewing to get it finished. I’m seriously considering making another, for me, for a pillow or something.

Simply Solids - Carmine - Needs trimming yet

Here is the block pre-trimming, in bad, night-time lighting.

Simplu Solids - Carmine

And here it is after being trimmed, in better lighting. I’m very pleased with this one.  It’s not something I would have felt super confident making for someone else a year ago, but this bee has improved my skills.  I’m glad we’re continuing for another year.  I wonder what else I’ll learn?

Linking up with the Needle and Thread Network.

Tardis Status: complete

I finished the Tardis mini awhile ago, but I wanted to wait for it to arrive at its overseas destination before I blogged about it, in case the recipient read my blog.  It only took 10 days to get to Australia!  I have known things to take, on average, a week to travel from one province to the next, so the speed surprised me.

Tardis Mini

I quilted it very, very simply, outlining the outside of the Tardis, and then around each panel in the door, as well as around all the windows. You can’t see it very well from this side, but from the back, the stitches show up better.

Back of Tardis mini (1)

I was originally going to just do a plain back, but when I saw this fabric in my stash, the idea of appliqueing “Bad Wolf” onto it just jumped into my head. It’s been awhile since I saw the series with Nine and this storyline, but I had a vague memory of this being spray-painted onto a brick wall at some point. Even if my memory is faulty and that never happened, it totally could have, so I just went with it.

I put paper-backed fusible onto a strip of red fabric, and then cut it into jagged slivers, which I arranged in a graffiti-like way. After I fused it, I stitched through the centre of all the letters, just to make sure they weren’t going anywhere. It was really quick, and very easy.

Back of Tardis mini (2)

The quilting shows up a little better here. It makes me think of the Tardis as it first materializes, in a ghost-like fashion.  I added some tabs on the corners for hanging, and then bound it, and shipped it off.  I’m happy to report that the recipient loved it!

Start a new project? Don’t mind if I do!

It’s been a snowy couple of days here at the Apple Pie house.  There is a drift as tall as Thing 1 where my garden was (she’s 4’6″).  And it’s still snowing.  We are on snow day #2 and counting.  So, when I have lots of things to do, what do I do instead?  Start sewing!  A brand new project of course, ignoring all the projects on my WIP list.

For many years, I have followed Bonnie Hunter’s blog.  Every year, from American Thanksgiving to the end of the year, she does a mystery quilt.  And for years, I have wanted to play along but I don’t because I feel obligated to finish other stuff first.  But no more!  I’m doing it!  The clues are posted on Fridays, and there is a link-up on Mondays. I pulled fabric yesterday, since I’m changing up the colours slightly, and got everything cut for step 1.  This year’s mystery is called Celtic Soltice, though I may change the name for my quilt.

Fabric pull for the new Bonnie Hunter Mystery

These mysteries are not for the faint of heart.  Step 1 is making 188 triangle units, 92 with orange, and 96 with background.  I have them all cut now, and here are the two practice units I sewed, to make sure my seam allowances were accurate. These units are made with the Tri-Recs tool.

Bonnie Hutner Mystery, step 1

 

I’m know I won’t get this done anytime soon, primarily because I’m going out of town for the holidays, but I’m glad I decided to join along this time.  These little units have always been a favourite shape of mine.  I’ll link this up with Quiltville, so you can find your way there.