I finished my community quilt! Yay! This one has only been lingering on the ‘to finish’ pile for about 7 months. I made the top at my guild’s sewing day for community quilts, way back in April. Then I had to wait for the guild to stock up on quilt batts again. That’s only a partial excuse for why it took so long, though, since I got the batting a couple of months ago. I was sidetracked with other projects. But, since the community quilts are supposed to be in by the November meeting (so they can be given away in time for Christmas), I wanted to prioritize it.
It’s not a very large quilt, since that’s Thing 1 holding it up for me, and she can keep it off the ground. I think it might be about 35″x50″ or so. I can’t be too sure, since I lost the paper that I wrote the dimensions on.
It was a great fall day to take pictures outside. The air was crisp and the leaves are making good progress in falling off the trees.
I had originally planned to do just some outline quilting, but Mr. Apple Pie convinced me to stipple it. He said that when he was a boy, he had a basic quilt with those big ‘U’ shaped quilting designs on it, and he got a lot of enjoyment from just tracing the paths with his finger when he was winding down at bedtime. He said that stippling is just hundreds of u shapes after one another, and if he was a kid, he would have loved it. He must have made a convincing argument, because stippling is what I ended up doing. I am getting happier with my ability to stipple, so it might be time to try a more complicated free motion design one of these days.
I bound it with a blue stripe, and used a greyish blue for the backing. I really like how the stripe looks as binding, and will probably employ more stripes for this purpose in the future.